Tourism is a sector for which the use of big data is particularly useful in order to offer increasingly personalized offers to travelers.
Nowadays, physical travel agencies are rarely consulted to go to a particular destination. The reason is that with the internet you can get information at any time and without leaving home. Indeed, from a computer, a smartphone or a tablet, one can access various search engines, comparison tools, photos and opinions of other travelers. That’s why, in order to remain relevant in the market, many people from the tourism market use big data analysis. If you have not yet jumped or are not yet fully convinced, discover in this article the applications and perspectives of big data in tourism.
What is big data ?
Already, you need to know what big data is or big data or massive data. This is all the digital data resulting from the use of online shopping, messages, videos, GPS signals, etc. It goes without saying that we leave a lot of data every day on the net. By taking into account some of this information (for example, searching for holiday destinations), the tourism market will grow faster. In fact, many of them have already integrated it into their strategy.
Big Data Analysis in Tourism
Big data can therefore inform the behavior of Internet users about their activity and behavior as part of a market research in tourism . In addition, we analyze the big data, it is possible to observe the destination and the chosen schedules. But also the different stages before, during and after the trip (reservation, cancellation, notice, etc.).
Most of the information is obtained externally, on social networks like Twitter in particular. Of course, analyzing this data is not an easy task considering their quantity. However, relying on professional and scalable web data extraction platforms such as Datahut makes it easy. Indeed, this type of platform collects information from several networks and collects them in a set of structured data.
The result will be a better view of the market, competitive strategies and brand performance from a single source of big data. In addition, the analysis of big data makes it possible to optimize the profit possibilities. As well as offering better experiences to travelers. Moreover, the observation of big data helps to improve the connectivity of transport networks according to market demand. Or to customize the services according to the request.
What are the potential applications of big data in the travel market?
The big data applications on the travel market are legion. What follows are studies done by the IMF Business School :
- personalized offers : to retain or attract customers, offers must match their situation. With big data, it becomes easier to offer them personalized services. This taking into account their geographical position, search history, traffic, travel expenses, etc.
- Airport Services : Focusing on information provided by travelers as they pass through airports helps to effectively plan the services and resources available to airlines. By also doing a search, it is possible to know how customers move, whether they visit duty-free shops, whether they rent a car or not.
- A personalized welcome at the hotel: consulting customers’ profiles on social networks or in their client file helps to know quickly who they are. Thus, upon their arrival, they can be welcomed as personalized and treated as regulars.
- Smart wristbands: These sensors can hold information about who wears them. By scanning them, they become accessible and allow employees to surprise tourists. For example, using their name to address them. In addition, these bracelets effectively replace the hotel room key and store credit card information. Which is more convenient for shopping.
- Direct billing of minibar charges: In some hotels, minibars have an integrated scanner. The latter examines the products available and those that are no longer available. So the consumption charges will be directly added to the stay card.
How to integrate big data analysis into a tourism company?
Until then, you’ve realized that big data analytics can make a big difference to your competitors. To analyze customer information, there are platforms that offer web scraping services. This consists of extracting content from websites and converting information via a script. Especially in raw data format as “csv. And a text file.
Analyzing social networks is another way of gathering information. In addition, it allows to know in general the opinion of customers on a particular brand. But also to get an idea about current market trends.
Otherwise the TripAdvisor site has a large set of customer data, as well as predictive analytics and machine learning that can help you improve your perception of the market. Also to create recommendation engines for various services and products.
Security of big data
To ensure the security and accuracy of their data, more and more companies are relying on blockchain technology. This technology encrypts information and stores it in a decentralized and transparent way. They are therefore inviolable and incorruptible during their manipulation.